Roasted Acorn Squash Bowls are a great way to serve sides and appetizers at the dinner party! Fill them with mushroom risotto or roasted vegetables.
- 2 Acorn Squash, halved lengthwise
- Mangia Sweet Cajun Dry Rub
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut squash lengthwise. To prevent if from rolling on the baking sheet, cut a small piece of the peel off the bottoms of each half.
- Brush with olive oil, and season with Mangia Dry Rub. Add salt if desired. Put a cube of butter in each half.
- Set on the baking sheet. To prevent the bottoms from burning add water to the baking sheet.
- Roast for about 45-60 minutes. Keep checking if there’s water left, add more if needed.
For the filling:
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 T Tamari (soy sauce)
- 2 T Mangia Dry Rub
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage, cut into strips
Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a large skillet, add the onion and cook until it begins to soften. Stir in the mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid and the liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, tamari and Mangia Rub. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes more, then season with salt to taste.
Remove the squash from the oven and switch your oven to the broil setting. Divide the chickpea mixture between the squash halves and drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place under the broiler until golden, about 2 minutes. Garnish with sage strips and serve.